2002-12-31

Lots of pictures. I hope this doesn't stagger your download connection.

Doug and Lynne, Walking
Doug and Lynne, in walking gear.

As Billy Connolly says, "There's no such thing as bad weather. Only the wrong clothes." In England, if you change your plans because the weather is bad, you'll never do anything. So walking requires waterproof boots, pants you don't mind getting muddy, rain gear, and protection from the cold.

Our models here are Lynne and Doug. Lynne is my aunt, and enough like my mom that staying with them felt almost like home. Usually they look much more elegant and even a bit posh, but I caught them while we were out walking one day!

Con and Clare
Con and Clare

I hadn't seen Con for an even decade, since Lynne and her boys came over to visit us in Ringgold, and us kids spent Christmas down in the basement listening to (now old-school) DC Talk and playing (now old-school) Lucas Arts adventure games like Loom and Zak McKraken. Clare is Con's bride of just over a year, and they are the most perfect couple you can imagine. We got along famously from the start, and I was sad to say goodbye and board the train. Their surprise parting gift of an 80's Hits CD was perfect. (Incidentally, one of my goals for this year is to practice up a repertoire of cheesy 80's hits on the piano, since they always seem to go over so well!)

Phil and Helen
Phil and Helen

And here's the other twin, with his significant other, Helen. I didn't get to spend much time with them, since they were headed off to New York for the New Year, but Helen seemed very nice too. Perhaps I'll get to see them here in London before I flit off to Croatia.

Lynne and Oll, cooking
Lynne and Oll, cooking

And finally, Oll. Shown with Lynne, in her posh kitchen (all Doug's work, except for the floor - he's amazing), cooking Christmas dinner. I didn't realize turkey is traditional for Christmas in England - what do you know? Actually, I didn't realize that England is trying to turn slowly into the 51st state of the USA. It's creepy. Of course they're still very English and all, but the influence from America is surprisingly strong. Maybe I'll put up a top ten interesting observations about England. Anyway, back to Oll. He's finishing up his masters, and then off on his "gap year", travelling (literally) around the world.

Oll and Zellyn, playing chess
Oll and Zellyn, playing chess

Finally, I guess I should include a picture of myself. Here's a shot taken by Lynne of Oll and I playing chess, along with some Christmas cheer. (Note the poshness)

Well, that's all for now. Have a happy New Year!

No comments: