2003-02-22

keyboard   Trent and Leah got engaged this week! Trent is two months out of university, still looking for somewhere to put his Architecture degree to use, and so had to sell some CDs to help pay for a ring. But who cares about money, if you're in it together? Come on Trent, let's have a decent picture of the two of you on the web site, eh? I think they're planning on August some time, before the weather gets cold again.

Speaking of weather, today in Atlanta was unseasonably warm - t-shirt and shorts weather in February. A crazy wind was knocking branches out of trees all over the place. All we needed was an electrical storm to make it pure Ray Bradbury. Apart from a couple of hours walking today, Tuesday at the office, and a few quick trips for groceries or fast food, I haven't left the house since Sunday night. Working from home is certainly better than dragging yourself, sick, in to the office. But it has its limits. Hopefully I'll be well by Monday.

I've decided to put a bit of effort into learning some jazz theory and practice. I've been throwing some unexpected chords into the mix lately, and I'd like to actually know why! Rob's quick primer on two-five-one kicked it off, and hanging out with Drew Matter (I still can't believe the guy has a real piano in his bedroom!) got things rolling. My miseducation started with some freebie internet tutorials on jazz piano (okay, if you hadn't figured out that I'm a geek yet, then the joke's on you, alright?), but got started in earnest today with the purchase of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue." I feel like I'm standing with one foot on the ground, one foot on the first rung, my hand about to grab another - I've never even seriously listened to jazz before! Well, we'll see what happens...

You know, I really miss all of you in Bosnia and England. It was wonderful to see you again, everyone. If you're reading this, send me an email, okay? And Waco, and Toronto, and Kailua-Kona, and New York, and Florida, and South Africa and everywhere else. Sometimes I could almost wish I was one of those people who'd never been more than a hundred miles from home.

Almost.

No comments: